I've recently come to realize that the extent of my vocabulary hovers somewhere on the level between a ninth and twelfth grade reading level.
Pretty average considering I never made it to college, but seriously sad considering I make my living as a writer.
How I managed to string my limited vocabulary together well enough to write 80k word novels is, in itself, a miracle.
That being said, I decided to go on a hunt....
A WORD HUNT!!
I've picked a few very interesting words and will now kick off my first edition of the...
BEST WORDS EVER!!!!
Feel free to borrow them... I didn't make the words up, I was just lucky enough to run across them on my word search!!
- Jonquil: a Mediterranean perennial bulbous herb; has long linear leaves and cultivated for its yellow or white fragrant short-tubed clustered flowers
- Ludibrious: sportive, ridiculous, wanton
- Scintillate: to throw off sparks; to sparkle or shine ------------------------------------>>>>
- Denude: make bare, strip, expose (what naturally happens after a scintillating kiss)
- Kerfuffle: a disorderly outburst, commotion, disturbance, disruption
- Tumescent: abnormally distended especially by fluids; a clear example of this would be me after a weekend of NFL football playoffs.... so yeah, "I will be tumescent on Monday morning, so don't expect to hear much from me."
Stultify: to make useless, futile, or ineffectual, especially by routine. *note... lingering effects of previous word's definition!!
Flippery: something of little value or significance; ornate or showy clothing or adornment.
Bumptious: offensively self-assertive, conceited.
I have no idea when I will ever use these words, but it's so much fun thinking about it and searching for words some of us have never seen before. If you do happen to be one of those fortunate brainiacs who already knew them, please don't be a bumptious pain in the rear. Keep it to yourself!